Categories
architecture and design news

Commemorative ceremony of the collapse of the Morandi bridge in Genoa, one year ago

<p class = "canvas-atom canvas-text Mb (1.0em) Mb (0) – sm Mt (0.8em) – sm" type = "text" content = "The city of Genoa, located in northern Italy, on Wednesday commemorated the collapse of the Morandi Bridge a year ago, which left 43 dead and dozens wounded. Hundreds of survivors went to the ceremony not far from the site of the disaster, where there are still ruins, while they were already working on a new bridge. At a memorial ceremony presided over by Bishop Angelo Bagnasco, the names of the 43 victims were read. At the time of the accident, at 11:36, a minute of silence was kept."data-reactid =" 31 ">The city of Genoa, located in northern Italy, on Wednesday commemorated the collapse of the Morandi Bridge a year ago, which left 43 dead and dozens wounded. Hundreds of survivors went to the ceremony not far from the site of the disaster, where there are still ruins, while they were already working on a new bridge. At a memorial ceremony presided over by Bishop Angelo Bagnasco, the names of the 43 victims were read. At the time of the accident, at 11:36, a minute of silence was kept.

Among others, President Sergio Mattarella and Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte took part in the commemoration. Several representatives of the company Autostrade per l'Italia (Aspi), who had exploited the collapsed bridge, had to leave the memorial service under the pressure of the bereaved. A representative of the survivors demanded that the background of the accident be clarified and that those responsible be punished. In this procedure, 71 defendants, 120 experts and 75 witnesses have to speak.

The memorial service in Genoa was under the impression of the current crisis of the government in Rome. Also present were right-wing leader Lega, Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, and five-star populist leader Luigi Di Maio. The coalition of the Lega and the five-star movement was broken last week. Salvini submitted a no-confidence motion to Prime Minister Conté, a non-political party. The outcome of the crisis is uncertain. The mayor of the Genoese district, in which a new bridge is under construction, Federico Romeo, said he hoped that "the government crisis would not cause any delay" in the construction of the bridge.

The 1.2 km Morandi Bridge was built between 1963 and 1967. Its architect, the late engineer Riccardo Morandi, used a special construction method with prestressed concrete. The engineering website ingegneri.info described the collapse of the bridge as "predictable tragedy" immediately after the accident. There have always been "structural doubts" about the construction of Morandi.

The new bridge was designed by star architect Renzo Piano, originally from Genoa. It should already be open to traffic next April. The white bridge will recall three ships "that combine to form only one structure more than one kilometer long," Piano told the daily La Repubblica. It should "hold a thousand years".